Sunday, April 10, 2011

Yemaya

Yemaya was the River Goddess of the Yoruba in Nigeria. When her people were hoarded onto the slave ships, she went with them and this is how she became their Goddess of the Ocean. She is a mother goddess, The Goddess of home, fertility, love and family. Like the water, she brings change and constancy bringing forth life and protecting it, changing if necessary. Yemaya is also the Brazilian,  Yoruban, and the Afro-Caribbean Goddess and Orisha of mother love. On February 2nd, crowds gather on the beaches of Bahia in Brazil to honor her feast. Yemaya has the colors of blue-turquoise and white. Her symbols include seashells, a gourd, rattle, an anchor, a key, and the turquoise stone.

Prayer/Chant to Yemaya;
Goddess of the Ocean
Goddess of the Sea,
Hear me now, hear my plea
Yemaya so beautiful, so bright
Be with me and make it right
You are the source of all Earth's life
By your water I breathe new life
As I Start to be alive by your great wisdom and knowledge
as the elixir of life flows through me, Blessed Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment