Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Samhain is almost Here and day 14/44 of witchiness; What is a favorite Pagan Holiday I like to celebrate

5 more Days until Samhain and 5 more days until I turn the Big 40..woot woot. So I'm gonna say that as part of the 44 days of witchiness, I'm gonna add this one as Day 14/44- What is a favorite Pagan Holiday I like to Celebrate? Well duh its obvious. This year is especially good because it falls on the year we have a party for the kids or teenagers now, I guess. So its gonna be like a 40th birthday party, except with teens...lol. The house is getting decorated, the pumpkins will be carved probably tomorrow, I have to bake and cook and clean, and make sure the movies are working properly by Saturday...UGH time to get the kids on board I think. So anyhow for Samhain (pronounced Sow-in), I like to set up an extra plate for those ancestors who have passed on and make a dinner in honor of our ancestors. Here's the Menu:

Appetizer; Bannock, which is a Native American Quick Bread, made for my native american Ancestors
2 1/2 cups of Flour
6 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBSP Sugar (optional)
1/3 cup shortening
2 eggs (optional)
1 cup of water or more
Method: Combine the first 4 ingredients, add shortening, rubbing it in to form fine crumbs. Combine Egg with water (if using an egg), and add to flour mixture, stir to form a soft dough, and knead briefly, If using a frying pan, grease the pan then dust with flour, place about a quarter of the dough in the pan and heat. Bake until the bottom is lightly brown, then flip. Bake about 10 mins on the opposite side. Bake remaining dough in similar fashion. If baking in the oven pat down into greased pie plate. Bake in 400 degree oven, for about 20 minutes, or until cooked in the middle. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top while still warm.

Salad: Caesar Salad; this is a Family favorite and very simple to make; Romaine Lettuce, Caesar Salad Dressing, Croutons and some parmeson cheese, then mix it all together.

Main Dish: Varenki, Made for my Russian Ancestors

Dessert: Apple Crisp, made in honor of my Norwegian ancestors, Okay not exactly a norwegian recipe, I made Apple Cake once also known as Eplekake, but this year I'm making things simple and buying some Apple Crisp.

Beverage: Apple Juice for the Girls and a glass of wine for me.

So what are the Activities we plan on doing; Well going out getting candy for one, then I have a special Ritual I like to do to remember my loved ones, I'll add that on Later, maybe tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment